New to Arizona? We Can Help You Adjust
Arizona is a unique place. Effective ways to adjust to any new area are to learn about it, explore your new surroundings, and find fun things to do. This section will help you do just that and more!
Ten fun facts about ASU, the Phoenix metro area and Arizona.
- ASU ranks in the top 0.5% of universities in the world. In recent years, ASU racked up the following accolades and distinctions:
- ASU provides funding, resources, and programs to support student entrepreneurship.
- With more than 1,000 student organizations across ASU's metro campuses, Arizona State University provides opportunities for each and every student to become involved.
- South Mountain, located in Phoenix, is the largest municipal park in the country. Here are some travel tips.
- The Phoenix Zoo is one of the nation’s largest non-profit zoos. It’s home to more than 1,400 animals, including 30 species that are endangered or threatened, and it’s committed to conservation.
- Phoenix is home to a number of nationally acclaimed restaurants. Pizzeria Bianco is rated by many – including Bon Appétit, Vogue and Rachael Ray - as the best pizza in the country, and Barrio Café was recently named by Tabelog as the best Mexican restaurant in the USA.
- Big Surf Waterpark in Tempe features the third largest wave pool in the world.
- The Phoenix metropolitan area is a destination for major sporting events. This decade alone, the Valley of the Sun has hosted Super Bowl XLIX (2015), the College Football Playoff National Championship (2016), Copa America Centenario (2016), and the NCAA Final Four (2017).
- Arizona has the largest percentage of land designated as Native American Tribal land in the United States.
- Arizona has more national parks and national monuments than any other state, more mountains than Switzerland, and more golf courses than Scotland! Plus, one-fourth of the entire state is covered by forest growth, and the Coconino National Forest is the largest unbroken Ponderosa pine forest in America.
Learn more about ASU’s impressive rankings and honors and ASU history.
Fun Things to Do
Exploring the Area
Adjusting to the Arizona Heat
Remember, the Arizona heat might be intense in August and September, but as we get into the fall and winter, the weather will be wonderful.
The Phoenix metropolitan area boasts a wide variety of high quality restaurants The list contains restaurants that have been recently heralded as the best in the Phoenix area by the Phoenix New Times and/or restaurants that have been featured in the Arizona Republic. Several of these restaurants have received national accolades. ASU does not endorse any of these restaurants, and the list is provided merely for informational purposes. For more restaurant options, consider sites such as Zagat, Yelp, Trip Advisor and Open Table.